First Baptist Church Dallas Sanctuary and Campus Expansion
- Dallas, Texas270,000 SF building, 500 car parking garageBeck – Architect–
Established in 1868, the congregation of First Baptist Church of Dallas demonstrated its commitment to downtown. When the congregation found itself facing a new century with aging, ineffective and unwelcoming facilities, the congregation embarked on an ambitious expansion project to recreate and rebirth its campus as an “Urban Oasis.” Beck’s design team strategically removed outdated buildings to make way for new worship, educational and community spaces. The buildings’ placement creates a new front door and gateway for the campus, while also creating a stronger sense of visibility and connection within the campus. Foundational to the new campus plan was the creation of First Baptist’s first new worship space since 1891. Celebrating the church’s long ministry legacy, the historic sanctuary was preserved. A new efficient five-story education center and 500-car garage replaced outdated structures and surface lots. The focal point of the new campus is a towering cross-topped fountain and pool with outdoor baptistry residing within Fountain Plaza.