University of Texas at Austin Welch Hall 1929 East Wing Renovation
Austin, Texas46,000 SFBeck – ConstructionTaniguchi Architects – Architect
The University of Texas at Austin chemistry department has been located in the building now known as Welch Hall since its original construction. Beck’s construction team renovated six floors of the 1929 east wing to upgrade chemistry teaching and research laboratories. The renovations included modernization and life safety improvements of classrooms, administrative offices, wet and dry laboratories, computer labs and all required support facilities. A major portion of the renovations were comprehensive upgrades of the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, with a special focus on the new labs with high efficiency equipment. Because Welch Hall had numerous renovations throughout its 80-year history, Beck’s team was challenged with precisely identifying all mechanical and electrical systems in order to isolate the east wing.